CTA FAQ’s2018-01-31T23:11:08+00:00

How do I know if my child has SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) ?2018-01-31T23:11:09+00:00

After a full OT evaluation, your therapist will review the findings. Some “red flags” indicating a possible delay with sensory processing include: problems eating, sleeping, attention, irritable when dressing, washing, grooming, resistant to hugging or seeking prolonged hugs, clumsy, difficulty making friends, over/under sensitive to sights, sounds, touch, movement, smells or taste, difficulty calming self, fidgety, etc.

My child already gets therapy in school, why would he/she need private therapy?2014-08-24T18:48:08+00:00

School services provide therapy under a different set of guidelines. They must adhere to “educational relevance” for therapy. Additionally for your child will typically need to be enrolled in another service (Speech, SLD, etc.) in order to be considered for the related services of OT and PT. For some children school therapy is enough, however there are children who could benefit from individual sessions (one on one with a therapist) as well. These sessions may include some of what he/she is working on in school but may also include helping to improve functioning at home or in other community settings.

Will my child have “homework?”2018-01-31T23:11:09+00:00

Your child’s therapist will determine a home program unique to your child. In order for your child to progress and gain his/her maximum potential, home carryover is very important.

How long or how often will my child need therapy?2014-08-23T16:56:49+00:00

The therapist will determine the frequency and duration of therapy based on the evaluation process. The recommended frequency may be changed based on a discussion between yourself and the therapist and the goals that were set. Every child is different and presents with a unique set of needs. It will take time for your child to gain and maintain skills. Some children receive therapy for months and some for years. Most children are seen 45 or 60 minutes one or two times per week.

Can your therapists diagnose my child?2014-08-23T16:56:28+00:00

No, therapists do not diagnose, however they may suggest a diagnosis following an evaluation. This diagnosis is therapeutic in nature and not medical. For example your therapist may suggest motor in-coordination for a therapeutic diagnosis and your child’s pediatrician may use a medical diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy, Autism, ADHD, etc.

What is Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)?2014-08-23T16:56:12+00:00

SPD or sensory integration dysfunction is the body’s inability to process effectively the information received from the senses (touch, sight, hearing, muscle sense, taste, and smell). The messages sent to the brain can become mixed up, lessened, or heightened resulting in problems with self-regulation, behavior, coordination, attention, memory, higher level cognitive functioning, etc.

What is the difference between Occupational and Physical therapy and how do I know which one my child needs?2014-08-23T16:55:55+00:00

OT and PT can look very similar especially when working with children. In general, OT includes, but is not limited to working on fine motor skills, visual perception, visual motor skills, feeding, social emotional behaviors, sensory processing, upper body function, and Activities of Daily Living-ADL’s (dressing, eating, bathing, play, etc). PT includes, but is not limited to working on gross motor skills, postural control, gait, coordination, balance, and lower body function. Both therapies incorporate fun, motivating activities specific to your child’s needs. When you call Children’s Therapy Associates, we will take a quick inventory and will be able to guide you toward the appropriate therapy for your child.

What should I do if I suspect my child needs OT, PT and/or Speech Therapy?2014-08-24T18:53:38+00:00

We suggest you start with your child’s Pediatrician. Once you have spoken with the doctor he/she will give you a prescription for an evaluation. Call our office (941) 756-1003 and we will take your information and send you an information packet and forms to complete. We can then schedule a thorough evaluation with your child.

Go to Top